Monday, December 12, 2016

Our Week In Photos



      This cold weather is kicking my ass!! The ever present worry about the welfare of my little flock   has got me doing chores several times a day and still I am not there in time to save the eggs from freezing. Mike is enjoying the extra baking that I am doing, to use them up. My favourite cold weather activity has got to be spending the day making bread and buns and all sorts of goodies. It has been too cold to venture out and deliver some to friends and neighbours, so a lot of the baking is going into the freezer. I don't see any end to the frozen eggs, so pretty soon we are going to have to think of something else to do with them - or go buy another freezer.


  On Friday, I had the great pleasure of being Peyton's "special person" and attending school with her.
The class was studying the letter "h" and Peyton wanted to bring our little pet hen, Sunflower. I tried to talk her out of taking the chicken, but she was adamant - so Sunflower went to school! I think that she was so frozen - being plucked from the barn and placed in a warm chair, she just sat there and thawed out. I was a little nervous about how she would react to a dozen children trying to pet her - but she just sat there and went to sleep in the warmth of the classroom. Peyton got her microphone hooked up and gave a very good presentation on chicken care.

  There was a little panic and giggling when the chicken pooped on the chair.

  Okay, maybe a lot of giggling! Mostly the boys.

  Go figure!





    Then it was time to head home and take our pictures for Peyton's Christmas card gifts. Ever since she was old enough to realize that she wanted to give a gift to everyone on Christmas Eve, we have made a special point to set up a holiday photo shoot. She approves the pictures that are going to be printed and she hand writes a card for everyone on her list, encloses a couple of photos and hands them out in person. Peyton is very serious about the whole process.

    Serious to the point that she made sure the photos were cropped to hide the fact that she had gotten grease from the Bobcat on her new red coat and she didn't want it to show. Her attention to detail scares me slightly. She is only five!

    Heaven help us when she is a teenager....

No comments: