Saturday, October 17, 2009

Painted Ponies

All through the summer and fall, Megan and Marcie have been keeping Flash and Flint in shape for us. With Mike's leg keeping him from riding, our horses have been getting a little "robust". The girls like to get off work, grab something to eat and catch the horses for an evening ride. Quite often, after dark, I will hear the "clop, clop" of Flash's shoes on the hard road and the laughter of the girls as they ride home in total darkness.


I can't imagine life any other way, we are so privileged to live in the country and enjoy the perks of being on a farm. I don't miss the cows!! Mike made me sign a piece of paper, stating that he could buy his precious cows back as soon as he was up and walking. That was the morning that the cattle liner was coming down the road to pick up all of the honory old b-------s. I hope that day never comes when we have to go back to using the horses for work and not for pleasure!


I don't really get why Mike is so adamant that he needs to have them back. You like freezing your butt off, carrying a frozen calf to the barn while his retarded mother tries to eat you alive? You love trying to cut the pairs out of the herd and push them into the big field when the frozen air from the Arctic is blowing down your back and chilling you to the bone? Or trying to pull frozen baler twine off big round bales that are solidly frozen to the ground? Or getting pooped on by a scouring calf that stinks to high heaven? Or sitting at a fall calf sale, thinking that you are going to puke and wondering if you are going to have to plead bankruptcy? I like my cattle, triple A, flash frozen, in a neat little package and I don't mind paying some other poor dumb farmer to raise it for me! Cows? I say, bullshit!

No comments: