Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I certainly had a great Mother's Day weekend, even if the skies were cloudy and overcast and it was generally yuckky outside. First, Andrew brought me the coolest cast iron towel rack that I have ever seen. I took one look at it and knew that I wanted to use it to hold scrap booking magazines instead. Then I was surprised by some friends with a bouquet of sunflowers for my dining room table. Then I got a phone call to come home from the workshop and when I got there Daniel gave me a new cell phone!!!!!! The slide kind, with individual keys for texting !!! Then Mike gave me two new charms for my Pandora bracelet - and a card that said that while I was NOT his mother, he decided to treat me anyway. Lastly, I got a phone call from Las Vegas, from my daughter, wishing me a Happy Mother's Day. (Megan is on vacation, with dyed hair and fake ID because she is not 21) At least she was not calling me from jail!!
The whole thing got me thinking about being a Mother and how hard it is to bite your tongue when you see one of your adult (or supposed to be adult) children doing something that you are dead set against. I guess the way that Mike and I ran things in our household was: if you were living at home, under our roof, you followed our rules. When you moved out, you were able to make your own decisions, but we always stated to our children that we raised them to know right from wrong, hoping that our example would keep them from making too many disastrous mistakes. WRONG!!! What were we thinking?? They're a bunch of idiots!!!!
I wonder then, how many times my own parents have lamented the fact that they raised a bunch of idiots too? I'm pretty sure that my own Mom must have bit her tongue until it was bleeding, when I decided, at different stages of my life, to change religions, start homeschooling my three children, scrapbook for a living, buy a car that cost more that our house, etc. etc. And I am just one of her three idiot children!!!
No wonder why people celebrate Mother's Day. It is one day that you can enjoy your children, before another year of bullshit comes along!!

1 comment:

Kitchen Utensil said...

Oh Cindy! I love it!!! Happy Mothers' Day from one idiot child to another!