Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lessons From My Mother

I was so inspired by our trip to Creston, B.C. this weekend that I just had to start scrap booking fall layouts! As most of you know, I "resist" making one page layouts and snottily refer to them as "one page wonders". Okay, I admit it, I am a snot!! Please don't take any offense by my put down of single page layouts!!! But to me, most often, these layouts contain one photo and next to no journaling (which is really my pet peeve in the scrap booking world) - sometimes only a quote and a date grace the page. They tend to show off a lot of pretty product, but don't tell too much about the person in the photo, or the person who made the page. But whenever I start a new album, there has to be a front page and a back page, no matter how hard I try to get around it!!! So I decided to use my one lone photograph of my canning jars, filled to the brim with pungent pickled carrots, to make a tribute page to my mom and everything that she has taught me.
I love the way the light is coming through the window and shining through the mason jars - which by the way, are one of my most favorite comfort items in the world. I love mason jars!!! As my moods strike me, I fill them with colorful flowers from the garden or sand, seashells and candles and cupboards full of jars get filled with crisp veggies and sun soaked fruit from our Creston trips. They are warm and homey and totally full of goodness!
Our trip last weekend, while short, was one of the best in recent years! Mike and I spent three days scouring the fruit stands, antique stores, my favorite pottery shop - we had so much fun!!! The truck and trailer were bursting with treasures on the way home. I will take some photos of my "finds" and post them soon!

2 comments:

Julie Giles said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend in Creston, I'm disturbed that as I hang my monthly MNC calendar this morning, the person who designed it, thinks it's a one page wonder! Lol

Christy Riopel said...

Wow do my eyes deceive me! Love the layout!