Monday, August 23, 2010

Scrapbooking History


So you are probably wondering why I am scrap booking a page on slavery? This layout was one that I started last year, but found a little difficult. It is not like you can walk into any scrapbook store and find embellishments for slavery!!! It took a very long time to find all of the pieces of the puzzle. I googled slavery and downloaded a few images that showed slaves at auction and how they (the people) were advertised and what selling prices would be expected for them. I was also able to procure some drawings of the slaves loaded on ships and estate records that listed the human inventory along with the cattle, sheep, horses and other "belongings" to the estates. Some of the photos were very graphic and made me shudder.
By printing out the images and then collaging them together, I was able to create the backgrounds for the two pages. A clip art bull whip seemed to be the most appropriate embellishment for the page, considering that I did not want to cover up much of the text in the old slavery auction bills. I also used Barracks signature saying "Anything Can Happen" and included the People magazine article about Obama's historic election. But why scrapbook it in the first place?
From the very beginning of my scrapbook hobby, I have included pages in my family albums about significant events that have shaped our world. Because we are creating "history books" for our families, I feel it is necessary to include world events that have changed the way we live, the way we do business, the way we feel about things. Y2K, the terrorist attacks of 9-11, Amish school shootings, the stock market crash/Motor industry bailouts/recession and Barrack Obama's history making election all deserve a place in our scrapbooks. They have changed us in some way. Just try to get through security at an airport,with a liquid, and see what happens!!!
So the next time that a world event occurs that has a significant impact on you - scrap it!

1 comment:

Shannon Tompkins said...

She is a blogging machine. Missing you .... wishing we were seeing you this weekend ... guess it might not be until November now!