Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Peaceful Day Christmas Shopping -NOT!!!

Yesterday I went to Lethbridge with Megan, Christmas shopping. It was "supposed" to be a peaceful girl's day out, with lunch at 360 ( a Tapas Bar that I have always wanted to try out), some shopping and just an all round "get out of our boring town" day. I thought it would be fun to spend the day with Megan. WRONG!!!
We were hardly out of Pincher Creek when the road rage started. Megan is a very impatient driver and she had me so stressed out that I wanted to open the passenger door and jump out into oncoming traffic! I told her that all this "emotion" is not good for her or the baby, but she just seemed to get worse as we approached the city. When we actually entered the city of Lethbridge, then there were even more pedestrians, stop lights and drivers to piss her off. It wasn't starting out to be a very good day. I decided just to sit in my seat and keep my mouth shut, after one warning that she was taking all of the fun out of the experience by being so hostile.
Then we had to run a Christmas errand for Mike at Home Depot. He was looking for a particular drill set that he wanted to give to my father for Christmas. We hardly got through the door before I irritated Megan into a bad mood, by looking through the sales flyer. Apparently, she does not "do" flyers and it was a waste of time to look at the tools section in the flyer, when you could just walk over and see the real thing! Then I made the mistake of asking a clerk for help. Apparently, she does not like asking for help either, because she was in quite a mood by the time that the clerk explained that the advertisement must have been a US ad - they did not have that drill set combo on sale. Megan had already determined that it was not available and me talking to the clerk just slowed up the process. Not to mention that the clerk's mustache (by the way, the clerk was a girl) REALLY irritated Megan. We ended up having words in the tool isle after the clerk left!! I clearly stated that if it was an errand for Megan that we were doing, then she did not have to look in flyers or ask for help - but if it was an errand for me, then she had better back off with the attitude and let me ask for help and look in flyers!!! It got a little heated, but I actually thought I had got through to her because the next store was "non-confrontational".
Then we had to go to Chapters. OMG - what a BUSY, BUSY place!!! Every sales clerk was busy, so I decided to use the computer, myself, to see if what I was looking for was in stock. I determined that they did not have what I wanted, but that it could be ordered at the kiosk, which I was unsure about - did I keep using their computer or ask for help. One look at Megan and I knew that either way, I was screwed. So, I decided to stalk a clerk. I followed one nasty lady for about 10 minutes before I decided that tactic was not working, so I set up camp at the kiosk. Megan was glaring at me from the racks. I just stood there until a clerk pushed me out of the way to use the computer. Literally. Finally, Megan took charge of the situation, and I just pretended that she was not my daughter - I am sure that my books will eventually come in and they will be marked "for the bitchy, pregnant lady". I paid the bill and hastily left the store.
About five stores later it was time for lunch. The tapas restaurant was wonderful, but I wisely did not order a drink with my meal, because I knew that was going to cause a fight. I really needed a beer by then, but because Megan could not have one, it would have been drama if I indulged, so I let that one slide. The meal was excellent - crab cakes and a blue cheese/bacon burger to die for. One highlight of the trip!
The roads home were not the greatest, but at least there was no traffic at that time of day, so I did not have to listen to the rant about crazy assed drivers that should have their licenses taken away. When we got almost home, Megan politely asked if she could wrap my gifts. That is her favorite part of Christmas, the wrapping of the presents. So here is my plan for next year - DO NOT GO SHOPPING WITH MEGAN!! Just give her the gifts to wrap and let her be in charge of that. Note to self: do not go back to Chapters for a while, either!

2 comments:

Shannon Tompkins said...

That definitely was an intense day! Hope things are going better. Perhaps you can blame Megan's outbursts on raging horomones????

Christy Riopel said...

LOL...glad I am not the only one with a hormonal daughter!!