Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Conspiracy!



     Every day since I bought my flock of chickens, I have cautiously looked in the nest boxes, hoping that this was going to be the day that they started paying me back... for all the trips to the feed store, for the LOADS of lumber that I have picked up and Mike has turned into wonderfully cute chicken "condos", for the endless supply of waterers and feed troughs... I am all about them earning their keep! Every single day (since July) I was disappointed. I think that there was some form of chicken conspiracy going on. I could imagine them cackling as I walked up to the chicken house "Here she comes! Here she comes! Now, watch her face when she looks in the angelic, little, straw filled nest box that she so lovingly prepared for us!! Watch, watch! She looks so hopeful!" (insert hysterical chicken laughter)" We got her! We got her again!" (more jubilant chicken laughter). And yet again, there was not a single egg.

Not one.

Ever.

     Worst of all, those pranksters stood in formation and watched me walk away. I swear they were smiling. 

     This week, I think the feathered conspirators finally got tired of the game. As usual, I peeked into the nest box with a fresh burst of hopefulness and anticipation. Imagine my surprise when there was a pale blue egg in the sparkling straw! A blue egg! Then I went to the next chicken condo and there was a pink egg! I have a feeling that somehow they knew that I was researching a recipe for "chicken pot pie" on the Thanksgiving trip to Creston! LOL

     I went "all Grandmother" and found myself a cute little basket, lined it with some old-timey gingham and figured that I had this all worked out. Little bastards. They only gave me two "teaser eggs" to up the anti! There has not been a single egg for the rest of the week!

     Rotten little bastards!

No comments: