Monday, February 14, 2011

My Obsession

I wish I was ten years younger - I don't want to go back to my teens...I don't even want to go back to my twenties ...or thirties. Give me a good solid forty and I would be happy with that!! Back before I started to ache and complain about my shoulder and neck, back just far enough that I still held out hope for paying off the farm, just back far enough that I seemed to be able to stay up all night, and still be productive during the day, back when I had the most energy, but was uber wise from all of my forty years on the earth. What would I do if I was forty again?

I would be brave, I would be daring, I would be well off enough to know that I could take a big chance and know that I could make it pay off. I would...
BUY A RESTAURANT!!!!

We, as a family, are lamenting the fact that one of our favorite restaurants is closing down next week, due to health issues with the principal owner. Separately, a few weeks ago, every one of my three kids came to me with the proposition of "us" buying the place. "Us" means that they wanted to invest in the project, but I know that "us" does not extend to doing any of the work. What they really meant was that they would chip in some money, but they expected me to be the chief.

I thought about a little. Probably more than a little. Probably more than I should have. I already had the color scheme picked out before a big jolt of reality hit me and knocked me out of my day dreaming ...I mean day scheming. I had already solved every objection that Mike had. I had fixed all of the problems. I had even done some calculations on paper. But, all of a sudden I got a picture in my head of what life would really be like if you were married to a job like that, and even more scary was the thought of having my grown children as partners.

How's this for a thought process: Andrew playing pool all day long in the lounge, buying drinks for all of his friends...Daniel, who can eat his body weight at every meal, ordering three appetisers and two mains, three times a day...Megan busy socializing with everyone, Mike phoning every day asking when I am coming home...

I decided that cute decor and color scheme aside, I was going to have to let this one pass. It is just good that I am ---ty and not forty!

No comments: