Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Okay, I might not be the brightest bulb on the tree. I did something a couple of weeks ago that made absolutely NO SENSE. My father would be the first to agree that a lot of decisions that I make show that I do not use the brains that the good Lord has given me. I would love to be able to spell the Danish translation for "dumb cluck" that repeatedly has been directed towards me, but I can't spell it. Nevertheless, you get the drift. Case in point... Mike really, really wanted to go to the farm auction that was held out in the country a couple of weeks ago. Andrew was supposed to go with him, but at the last minute cancelled out. Mike was upset - he had looked forward to spending the day with his son. The weather was supposed to be great. He had his eye on a riding lawn mower for Andrew, so that Andrew would not have to haul ours over to his place every couple of weeks and a swather for cutting hay, so that the kids would not have to hook and unhook our tractor to be able to rake or cut or bale our hay. He felt ditched.So, Mike made me go with him. He should have known that would cost him money in some way. I mean how much trouble would you expect a girl to get into at a farm machinery auction, anyway? Really...farm machinery. I would rather have my eyes poked out. Dental surgery without anesthetic. Splinters stuck under my fingernails. You can tell how excited I was. The problem with getting out of the situation was that Mike had just given me a for-no-good-reason (except that he loves me) present of a new bracelet and necklace set from Ben Moss. It was a beauty. How could I say that I would not go with him? Shit, I was screwed. I HAD to go, or forfeit the jewelry. Crap! After the obligatory visiting with every person that you have not seen in 20 years, and the boring drone of the auctioneer got on my nerves, I decided to look around at some of the buildings that were going to be sold. Not that I was in the market for buildings, but at least they were a few degrees cooler than standing in the blazing sun, watching farmers scratch their heads about how fast the hay was ripening. Man, I just wanted to go hang myself in one of the buildings! So that is how I ended up in what used to be the cook house for the Hutterite colony. We were under the impression that all of the appliances and related "kitchen" stuff had been sold. Not so! In the cookhouse was item #1970. A professional oven - Baker's Pride, to be exact. Well, I have always said that if I was 10 years younger, that would be what I would do - open a bakery. I LOVE baking. I love watching baking shows. I own hundreds of cookbooks. Well, guess what? I now own a professional Baker's Pride oven. So, what in the hell am I going to do with it? I have absolutely no frickin' idea! It took a Bobcat and four men to get it out of the truck. I don't have any room that it will fit in. We had to put it in the garage. (For now). I have suggested that we might have to build a building for it. I know the smart thing is to put it up for sale, take the profit and buy something SENSIBLE, but I want to learn how it works. It is a really expensive oven, but I paid almost nothing for it. Probably had a lot of people laughing at me (probably calling me "dumb cluck" in several languages) but I am going to spend my time off this summer learning how to use the beast. So, if you know of anyone who might need 100 baked potatoes at once, or 10 pizzas, just let me know!!!

No comments: