Sunday, November 6, 2016

Ode to Popcorn

This funny looking little guy was one of the first chickens that arrived at our farm this summer. He had arrived at the Picture Butte Auction Mart, stuffed in a box with a couple of "normal looking" ban ty hens. He sort of freaked me out when he hopped out of the box  - he was not a looker! I don't think he had much human contact either, he was a little stand-offish. All summer, we sort of ignored each other and beside Peyton giving him the name of "Popcorn", he sort of remained in the fringes and didn't bother anyone.

When it got a little chilly and I started scattering a little corn in the evenings, to keep the gang warm, Popcorn won my heart. I fell hard!! This little odd fellow would spot me across the farm yard and come running. It was quite a sight. He had furry little feet, that made him look like he was wearing snow boots, several sizes too large for his diminutive body.

Popcorn would gallop. I mean gallopto me!

Pretty soon, he had the whole flock galloping to get their treats - but he was always the leader!

Eventually I could call them. (That probably was and is quite the sight!) The gang would come - thanks to Popcorn and his never ending, hungry stomach. He endeared himself to me, by being so friendly. He was not a bully like the other roosters. This little fellow was always happy to see me. Soon, I could pet him and he would not shy away.

Popcorn moulted this fall and while he was getting his new pin feathers on his head and neck, he looked just like Guy Feiri, the chef. You can not look at this picture and not see a little "Guy" looking back at you! Just look at that hair feathers! LOL

This weekend, disaster struck the gang. I found Popcorn lying in the driveway, unable to stand or walk. He groaned when I picked him up. I knew he was a goner. However, I placed him in the chicken house, on a bed of fresh straw. At dusk, he was gone. I looked until it got dark. Then I noticed that he was not the only one. My little white and brown hen, Laressa, was also hurt. At bedtime, when I went to lock the door for the night, Popcorn was absent from lock down. I knew he was dead, there was no way he would miss coming back to the coop.

In the morning, Laressa was dead.

Mike and I checked everywhere for Popcorn. Nothing. In the afternoon, Mike found him under the chicken coop, still alive - but barely. He had survived the night, due to our unseasonably warm November. We relocated him to a quiet place. He is not expected to live and if I knew a Doctor Kavorkian for chickens, I would have put him out of his misery.

I just can not do it myself. I comforted him and gave him all the necessaries of life. I said a prayer.

Tomorrow is going to be hard.

Poor Popcorn and Laressa.

I also think I know the criminal involved in the attacks. He is known to law enforcement. Trouble is, I have no proof.

So tonight, Jack is still a free dog. But he is being watched.

No comments: