Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring!

Today, is the ultimate spring day - the birds are chirping, the air is fresh and spring like and I am experiencing the worst case of spring fever ever. I want to plant a garden, wash some windows, clean a layer of dust off the veranda and have a BBQ for supper. A little premature, I think, but I can tell that spring is not far off!
We had a Mexican Salad for lunch, and I promised to share the recipe for the dressing - it might be a little wonky, because I made it up and it is never the same twice in a row. Today's version went something like this:

In the bowl of a food processor, add:

three green onions, cut in half
zest of two to three limes
juice of three to four limes (a little less than 1/2 cup)
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
1/2 bunch of washed cilantro - stems and all

At this point, pulse a few times to break up the onions and the cilantro. With the motor running, add about 1/3 cup cooking oil. I don't generally use olive oil in this recipe, as I want the fresh taste of the limes and cilantro to come through and not the oil. Canola would be fine!

Taste the green dressing and adjust to your taste. Some like it sweeter, some like it more tart. Some like the heat and will add more chili flakes. I just really like to taste the lime! I have made this dressing for a long time and every once in a while, I will come across a cilantro hater. I have never had anyone object to the dressing once they have tasted it. It just is so fresh!!

I usually toss the greens before serving with the dressing and then set out an assortment of:

Tex Mex shredded cheese, Cajun chicken breast, black beans, chick peas, salsa and sour cream. diced jalapeno peppers, chopped red onion, sliced cucumber, diced yellow and red pepper and crushed corn chips ( a mix of blue corn and yellow corn). Serve extra dressing on the side and presto!!! Spring on a plate!

Enjoy!!

No comments: