Monday, March 15, 2010

What Makes Me Mad?

Have you ever just been sitting there and you are in a foul mood, and then you realize that something is making you tense and making you feel this way? But nothing really bad has happened, so you can't really put your finger on what is upsetting you? Well, that happens to me a lot. I was sitting watching TV with Mike the other night and a gardening show was on HGTV. All of a sudden, I felt tense and crabby and I didn't really know why. So I said to Mike "What was the last thing that you said to me?" To which he replied, "Nothing, I'm just sitting here watching TV. Why?" "Because I am mad at you right now, and I don't know why" I replied. Mike almost fell off his chair laughing. "Oh, great, now I can get in trouble just sitting here!" he laughed.
It took another 10 minutes and a couple of commercials before I figured it out. On the program, they were showing a back yard reno with a new fence - that was it! I hate the fence around our yard and I guess subconsciously when they panned around the yard and showed the new fence, I tensed up because it reminded me how much I hate the fence that we have. When I told Mike that it was the fence in the program that had made me mad, he went into hysterics and remarked that for sure it had to be his fault somehow, because I didn't like our fence.
Today at work, I had another one of those moments. I have a big, long closet called "The Pantry" when I store all of the completed Monday Night Class kits. It is narrow and long and hard to navigate well, seeing as there is a huge fricken tool cart in there that has sat there all through the workshop renos. It has come in pretty handy, as all of the screw drivers and hammers and nails have sat on it and you could just go and grab whatever was needed. No one has taken anything off of it in the last two months, however. Yet every time that I go to get a kit, my pants or belt snags on the cart as I try to squish past it. Today it tore my jeans. I could have beaten it with a sledge hammer, I was so mad. Those were my best jeans! How many times have I manoeuvred around that darn thing, without realizing how mad it was making me? So, at lunch I took it out, put it in the back of the truck and took it home. This afternoon, I had to go and get a kit for shipping, and guess what? I walked right in. There was plenty of room, I easily reached the kit and I was out in a minute. Why had I let that cart irritate me for so long?????
So, in March, I am finally making my New Year's resolution! I didn't have a good one until now. Everything in my life that irritates me is GONE!! (Not Mike, though. I have to keep him for a few more years) but I am going to try and be aware of all of the things in life that make me tense and crabby and inefficient. I am going to fix them, one by one. That is, if I can just remember what is that is pissing me off, in the first place!!!

3 comments:

Shannon Tompkins said...

You definitely have totally liberated your life. I must remember this and just fix the things that are wrong instead of just walking around them.

Artytart said...

OK...so if l get an email saying 'you are GONE'...l know what it means. Colleen

serena said...

so very funny! lucky you that you have a Mike that can laugh at that stuff my Mike would be pissed off if he knew I was pissed off at him for nothing he had done.