Monday, April 26, 2010

Spring Is Here!!




When we went to bed last night a spring squall was going through and it was snowing like crazy!! I was afraid when I woke up this morning, everything was going to be covered and I had plans today to clean up around the outside of the workshop today. I think that about one more dump truck should have it covered! There is just a little rubble left over that I wanted to move before the grass needed to be mowed. This morning, however, the weather was beautiful!


Mike arrived around 11:00 with this pretty bouquet of crocus blooms, just for me! I didn't even know that they were blooming - it has been so cold here next to the mountains and I just had not had the time to go looking around. It was such a thoughtful way for him to get my day off on the right foot!



After I caught up on all the emails, I decided to take a break and go looking around. It is warm out there today!! The meadowlarks were singing in the fields, on Indian Hill the crocus were blooming and there was lots of fresh snow in the mountains. It was just too pretty! I could not go back inside and try to get excited about what kits were going up on the website for May. I just had to take a little photo break!
My children are the fifth generation to be brought up on this land. I once thought that this is the way that it always would be, our family would always live here and raise families that would get to ride ponies all over the place, listen to the meadowlarks, pick spring flowers and enjoy the mountains circling around like pie crust. The past nine years, as Mike has tried to get back some semblance of his old life, I have been keenly aware that I need to take the time to more fully appreciate every day spent here. It may not always be so. We have had lengthy talks lately about what will happen if the doctors can not "fix" his leg in some form that will allow him to walk and be able to do all of the things that need to be done when you live on a farm.
Everywhere that you look on the farm, you can tell that we have not been able to keep up with the repairs and maintenance. The shelter belt needs clean up, the barns need painting and a few new windows, the koi pond was never finished, the fences are all in bad repair, the farm yard needs cleaning up and dejunking. Every view reminds Mike that he is not able to work like he used to. It is getting harder and harder not to agree with him that a smaller place would be a good idea.
But, for now, I am going to think about all things bright and beautiful - the blooming crocus, the singing meadowlark and the snow capped mountains, and pray for a medical miracle. If God can make these mountains, he can mend Mike's leg. I just need faith.


1 comment:

Shannon Tompkins said...

You have to get excited for the upcoming kits ..... looks like a beautiful day. I love crocus and the they signify spring to me too however, don't see them in the city at all!